LiabilityWe will not guarantee the accuracy, validity, integrity or security status of any content on this website, and will accept no liability from any issues that may result from it. We do not scan all hosted files for viruses.
User posted content is out of our control unless we have known about the presence of it for at least one full week.
Accounts and your behaviourDo not join this website more than once (hence creating multiple accounts). If you cannot remember your password, use the 'lost password' feature, which is available on the login page. If problems persist, contact the staff.
Do not pose as, or willfully act as, a member of staff.
General posting/submission guidelinesDo not post any copyrighted material for which you have no right to do so.
Do not repeatedly use strong/harsh swearing or sexual references. We will allow some latitude here due to Julian Ritter's ribald nature. It is permitted that you use some profanity (e.g., in a quote of Julian) but unnecessary and gratuitous profanity will not be allowed.
Do not be too sexually graphic. Do not link to or post pornography, and only mild and non-sexually motivated nudity is allowed.
Staff have the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any content message they feel is inapproriate, without any warning given to the poster.
Do not submit any content that you know to contain viruses or commonly exploited security holes.
Any content submitted to us, will not necessarily be removed by request. We are not bound to remove submitted content and anything submitted should be assumed to be staying on our servers, publicly accessible permanently. By submitting, you are aware of the consequences of this, and take responsibility of it, and may not at any time insist on content being withdrawn.
Do not try to bypass the word filter: filtered words are placed in the filter in accordance with guidelines, and obvious misspellings or equally obnoxious alternatives, only serve to work against the wishes of the staff.
Do not post spoilers (material that reveals information relating to the subject matter of this website before the majority of members have learnt it through the channels they would wish to) in your topic titles. If you wish to post spoilers inside a topic give good warning about their presence, or use the Comcode 'hide' tag.
Do not post a link to a website that contains material that would be in violation of the rules if posted directly on this website. Special exceptions may be given by the staff when clear warnings are put in place.
Do not incite illegal activity, either directly, or by educating with the obvious purpose to make it more achievable.
Do not spam this website:
- you must be moderately confident that anything posted will interest at least a minority of the members.
- you must not post material more than once unless there is good reason, from the point of view of other members.
This website is private properly and hence any form of censorship is allowed at the discretion of the staff - you agree not to consider this website a forum for free speech if the staff consider it breaks the rules.
Image GalleryPlease post only original artwork (no reproductions) to the Image Galleries. If you have a lithographic reproduction, please create a topic for it in the "Julian's Art" forum providing as much information as possible. This will allow us to research the print for additional information. Once we have collected this information, we will post an entry in the Image Gallery with all known information and links back to any topics in the "Julian's Art" forum.
The maximum image size you can upload is 64MB. The preferred formats for images are PNG and TIF. You may also upload JPGs but please be sure that they are not heavily compressed (best if no compression applied). Please give each file a meaningful (descriptive) name, perhaps including your username as part of the filename. Please make sure to replace all spaces in filenames with underscores. If you have issues using the standard uploader, choose the Simple Uploader link and try again. Please report any issues you have using the Feedback link in the left column.
You will need to enter the following required information when posting images:
- Title: Provide the painting's title; if unknown, please create a descriptive title.
- Medium: Choose from the dropdown menu (e.g., oil on canvas, oil on masonite, watercolor and chalk, Cont�). If submitting to the Julian Ritter Pics gallery, please choose 'Photograph'. If you choose 'Other', please provide the medium in the Description field.)
- Dimensions: The dimension in inches of the work not including any frame or matte (height by width with no " marks and no spaces).
- Year painted: If unknown, enter "0000" and enter any additional information in the commentary field.
- Owner: Enter the owner's name, if known. This field defaults to "Unknown"
- Submitter: Please enter your username exactly as displayed on the Welcome page or in the "User" black near the bottom of the left hand column.
- Image: Select the painting from your computer to upload. The preferred format is PNG but you may also upload JPGs. Please make sure that JPGs are not heavily compressed
You are greatly encouraged to add keywords and a concise description for your entry. These fields are used by search engines and will make it more likely that people can discover your image. to enter this information, please click the arrow at the right of "Search Engine Optimisation, and Tagging.
For the keywords, please start with the following: username,medium,dimensions,year painted followed by any additional keywords you think might be helpful. Your keywords should look something like:
John Doe,oil on masonite,30x40,1961 followed by your own keywords. These may seem redundant but they will be used by the search engines and also to provide a means of displaying paintings by "tags" on JulianRitterCentral.
You can provide a short description which is what will be displayed in search engine results. The better your description, the more likely people will be to check out your painting.
Please take care to provide the best possible picture of your painting. The following tips will assist in taking an acceptable picture:
- Mount your camera on a tripod
- Make sure that picture is evenly lit
- Use a "Fill" flash setting
- If you must shoot free-hand, use a fast-shutter speed with high ISO setting
Image ReproductionAll images on the site are under the copyright of the Ritter Family Trust with all rights reserved.
The Ritter Family Trust has allowed for the following uses provided all conditions are met:
- The images may be printed or digitally copied for personal or educational uses only. The proper attribution for educational uses is "Ritter Family Trust"
- The images may not be used for any commercial endeavor or enterprise without the written consent of the Ritter Family Trust
- The images may not be altered in any way or used for derivative works without the written consent of the Ritter Family Trust
- The images may be posted to other websites solely for the purpose of education or discussion. The images must be attributed to the Ritter Family Trust and you must provide a link back to the JulianRitterCentral website (JulianRitterCentral - A community site sharing the life and art of artist and adventurer Julian Ritter)
Video and Audio ReproductionAll videos and audio (hereon, MEDIA) on the site are under the copyright of the Ritter Family Trust with all rights reserved.
The Ritter Family Trust has allowed for the following uses provided all conditions are met:
- The MEDIA may be copied in full for personal or educational uses only. The proper attribution for educational uses is "Ritter Family Trust"
- The MEDIA may not be used for any commercial endeavor or enterprise without the written consent of the Ritter Family Trust
- The MEDIA may not be altered in any way or used for derivative works without the written consent of the Ritter Family Trust
- Excerpts of the MEDIA may be posted to other websites solely for the purpose of education or discussion as allowed under Fair Use Policies. The excerpts must be attributed to the Ritter Family Trust and you must provide a link back to the source material on the JulianRitterCentral website (JulianRitterCentral - A community site sharing the life and art of artist and adventurer Julian Ritter).
ForumBe respectful of the opinions of other members, and do not discrimate it based on nationality, sexuality, gender, religion or race. Do not flame or degrade other members. If you have a problem with another members actions, contact a member of staff.
Do not double post (post consecutively in a topic) on the forum unless…
- You have new information to add after several days since your previous post was made
- You are bumping a topic after several days of no replies
- You are quoting various posts, and feel the need to do so in separate posts
PollsIf you view poll results before voting, you will forfeit your right to vote in that poll. You will be reminded of this before viewing the poll results.
FeedbackThe feedback forum and page were created so members may contact staff on matters that require attention. Please make an extra effort to not go off-topic in these areas, and use the most appropriate channels when communicating with staff. Our staff must read every last post of feedback, so off-topic messages will annoy them.
SignaturesImages in your signature should not exceed 50k in size, 468 pixels wide, or 110 pixels tall. For a guideline, this is about five lines of standard-sized text space. Text in your signature should also not exceed more than 5 lines of normal-sized text space.
Remember that a big signature is not always a good signature. Keep it nice and simple. Feel free to advertise your website if you wish, if the link to it does not itself break site rules.
AvatarsFor your own sake, avoid trying to use .bmp files as avatars - the system will not let you, because you should compress them to a more appropriate format, such as the .png format.
Avatars size is restricted by the system according to your usergroup.
HackingYou may not, unless explicitly given permission by a high-ranking member of staff, try to hack into this website. For the purpose of this rule, 'hacking' includes any technique designed to compromise the security or stability of the website.
Personal topics and postsThe staff reserve the right to read any personal topics and posts placed on this website. Any form of conversation made through this website should be considered viewable by staff.
ViolationThe staff reserve the right to ban any member who breaks any rule, whether the rule is agreed as broken by the alleged offender or not. No warning or explanations need be given.
The staff also reserve the right to change these rules at any time.